[Linux-cluster] corosync and token, token_retransmit, token_retransmit_before_loss_const confusion

Russell Jones russell at jonesmail.me
Wed Jul 31 02:14:54 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I am trying to understand how the corosync token, token_retansmit, and
token_retransmit_before_loss_const variables all tie in together.

I have a standard RHCS v3 cluster set up and running. The token timeout
is set to 10000. When testing it seems to detect failed members pretty
consistently within 10 seconds. What I am not understanding is *when* a
node is declared dead, and a fence call is actually made.  The man pages
show that the cluster is reconfigured when the "token" time is reached,
and also when token_retransmits_before_loss_const is reached. This is
confusing :-)

Which one is it that will reform the cluster? Both? When does one taken
precedence over the other?

Thanks!