[Linux-cluster] quorum

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Fri Mar 22 15:36:04 UTC 2013

This is correct.

Quorum needs "50% + 1" of the votes. So in Prathyush's cluster of 3
nodes/3 votes;

3 / 2 == 1.5 rounded up is 2.

So once the second node shut down, quorum was lost. With quorum lost,
the remaining node will stop all of it's clustered services because it
can no longer be sure what the other nodes are doing. For example, the
other two nodes might turn back on, fail to connect to the one remaining
node, decide they have quorum and start clustered services. This would
lead to a split brain.

If you want a 3-node cluster to work with just one node, consider adding
a quorum disk, assuming you have a SAN. This would add 2 votes to the
cluster. So the new math would be;

5/2 == 2.5 rounded up to 3.

The quorum disk would give it's two votes to the remaining single node
for a total of 3 votes, thus giving it quorum and allowing it to operate
on it's own.

digimer

--
Digimer