[Linux-cluster] gfs2 kernel versions

Jürgen Ladstätter info at innova-studios.com
Tue Nov 5 15:58:50 UTC 2013

Hi there,

right now we have a centos 6.4 (2.6.32-279) and a Gentoo (3.1.6) gfs2
cluster running.

The centos cluster shows some weird behavior with PHP processes “dying” with
process state D (uninterruptable IO). The Gentoo cluster never had any of
those problems.

So I wanted to figure out what gfs2 versions both are running, but I cant
find any significant information on that (changelogs based on kernel
versions etc.)

Is there any improvement in gfs2 going on in kernels like 2.6.32? or would
it be much better to upgrade to a recent version (3.12 e.g.) to get all the
performance features and bugfixes?

Or is gfs2 split up in separate packages (gfs2-util etc.) and you can run
current versions of gfs2 also on 2.6.32 kernels?

Thanks in advance for your help. This really confuses me.

Juergen