[Linux-cluster] Simple data replication in a cluster

Vallevand, Mark K Mark.Vallevand at UNISYS.com
Fri Apr 4 14:48:58 UTC 2014

Yup.  I've considered similar.  Thanks!

Regards.
Mark K Vallevand   Mark.Vallevand at Unisys.com
May you live in interesting times, may you come to the attention of important people and may all your wishes come true.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-cluster-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:linux-cluster-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Rick Stevens
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2014 04:52 PM
To: linux clustering
Subject: Re: [Linux-cluster] Simple data replication in a cluster

On 04/03/2014 01:58 PM, Vallevand, Mark K issued this missive:
> I'm looking for a simple way to replicate data within a cluster.
>
> It looks like my resources will be self-configuring and may need to push
> changes they see to all nodes in the cluster.  The idea being that when
> a node crashes, the resource will have its configuration present on the
> node on which it is restarted.  We're talking about a few kb of data,
> probably in one file, probably text.  A typical cluster would have
> multiple resources (more than two), one resource per node and one extra
> node.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Could I use the CIB directly to replicate data?  Use cibadmin to update
> something and sync?
>
> How big can a resource parameter be?  Could a resource modify its
> parameters so that they are replicated throughout the cluster?
>
> Is there a simple file replication Resource Agent?
>
> Drdb seems like overkill.

If you're OK with it and it's a small group of files/directories,
why not use something like inotifywait and have it run a script that
rsyncs the altered files to the other nodes when the files change? I've
done it before and it works pretty well.