[Linux-cluster] Which fence agents to use?

Elvir Kuric ekuric at redhat.com
Mon Jun 30 08:14:54 UTC 2014

On 06/30/2014 01:48 AM, Eivind Olsen wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am currently planning a 2-node cluster based on RHEL 6.5 and the high availability addon, with the goal of running Oracle 11g in active/passive failover mode.
> The cluster nodes will be physical HP blades
which model and which generation and which ilo version?
if ilo3/ilo4 ( what is case in most recent models of blades / Proliants
) then fence_ipmilan is recommended way.

Here is full list of supported fencing agents with RHEL :
https://access.redhat.com/site/articles/28603 ( you have to have Red Hat
customer portal access to see it - I guess you have it as Red Hat
customer )

> , and they will have shared storage for the Oracle data-files on a FC-SAN. That is, shared block device but using HA LVM so only mounting the filesystem on one node at a time.
ok!

> The way I see it, my fence options are fence_ipmilan but I could also look at fence_scsi. Should I use only one or both of these?
you can use any of these combination. Be aware that with fence_scsi ( if
used as only fencing method ) cluster node will only be stopped to
access shared storage - no power restart , and you will need manually to
restart it.
This could be overcome if you implement power fencing ( fence_ipmilan )
to restart machine once it has issue.
>   If both: in what order?
When configured properly fence_ipmilan will do the job, having
additional fencing ( fence_scsi ) method it will introduce additional
complexity in cluster configuration  - harder to debug / maintain.

ihmo, fence_ipmilan is good choice.