[Linux-cluster] fence_ipmilan / custom hardware target address (ipmitool -t hexaddr)

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Fri May 16 00:04:19 UTC 2014

On 15/05/14 02:39 PM, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am looking to adapt fence_ipmilan to interact with a custom
> implementation of an IPMI BMC. Doing so requires the use of ipmitool's
> -t option to bridge IPMI requests to a specified internal
> (non-networked) hardware address.
>
> I do not see this option existing in fence_ipmilan or any of the other
> fence_agents modules.
>
> The ipmitool operation would be '/path/to/ipmitool -t 0x42 chassis power
> <operation>'. No network, IP, Auth, User, Password or other arguments
> required.
>
> I want to check with the developers to see if there is an existing path
> for this use case before submitting a patch for consideration.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Jeff

Marek Grac, who I've cc'ed here, would be the best person to give advice
on this.

As a user, I think a simple patch to add your option would be fine. I do
not believe (though stand to be corrected) that address, user or
password is currently required with fence_ipmilan.

If I am wrong and it is required, then perhaps forking fence_ipmilan to
something like fence_ipmihw (or whatever) and then pushing it out as a
new agent should be easy and could work.

--
Digimer
access to education?