[Linux-cluster] [Pacemaker] [ha-wg] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Nov 24 15:06:45 UTC 2014

On 24/11/14 09:54 AM, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> On 11/24/2014 3:39 PM, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
>> On 2014-09-08T12:30:23, "Fabio M. Di Nitto" <fdinitto at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Folks, Fabio,
>>
>> thanks for organizing this and getting the ball rolling. And again sorry
>> for being late to said game; I was busy elsewhere.
>>
>> However, it seems that the idea for such a HA Summit in Brno/Feb 2015
>> hasn't exactly fallen on fertile grounds, even with the suggested
>> user/client day. (Or if there was a lot of feedback, it wasn't
>> public.)
>>
>> I wonder why that is, and if/how we can make this more attractive?

I suspect a lot of it is that, given people's busy schedules, February
seems far away. Also, I wonder how much discussion has happened outside
of these lists. Is it really that there hasn't been much feedback?

Fabio started this ball rolling, so I would be interested to hear what
he's heard.

>> Frankly, as might have been obvious ;-), for me the venue is an issue.
>> It's not easy to reach, and I'm theoretically fairly close in Germany
>> already.
>>
>> I wonder if we could increase participation with a virtual meeting (on
>> either those dates or another), similar to what the Ceph Developer
>> Summit does?

Requested feedback given;

Virtual meetings are never as good, and I really don't like this idea.
In my experience, just as much productive decision making happens in the
unofficial after-hours activities as during formal(ish)
meetings/presentations.

I think it is very important that the meeting remain in-person if at all
possible.

>> Those appear really productive and make it possible for a wide range of
>> interested parties from all over the world to attend, regardless of
>> travel times, or even just attend select sessions (that would otherwise
>> make it hard to justify travel expenses & time off).
>>
>> Alternatively, would a relocation to a more connected venue help, such
>> as Vienna xor Prague?

Personally, I don't care where we meet, but I do believe Fabio already
ruled out a relocation.

>> I'd love to get some more feedback from the community.
>
> I agree. some feedback would be useful.

<digimer puts on her flame-retardant pantaloons and waits for the worst...>

--
Digimer
access to education?