[Linux-cluster] How to add an unimportant resource to an important cluster?

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Tue May 24 08:45:26 UTC 2016

I have a cluster, running RHEL 6.7, with Ricci, Luci, rgmanager etc.
This is a 2 node cluster, where services are running on one node. The
service is an Oracle database, and the cluster controls several
resources:
* LVM volume (using clvmd)
* file system on a logical volume
* IP address
* Oracle listener
* Oracle RDBMS instance

I have now been asked to put another resource (another Oracle RBMS
instance) but with the requirement that this new resource shouldn't
cause the rest of the cluster resources to fail over to the other node.
Basically, what's been asked is to have another resource which will be
started by the cluster, but if it fails the health check it will be left
alone.

Is it possible to somehow mark one of the resources as "Not really
important, attempt to restart if down but don't migrate the entire
service with all the resources to the other node"?
My gut feeling tells me the better (correct, only etc.) way is probably
to set up a separate service for this new less important RDBMS instance,
giving it its own IP address, LVM volume, filesystem, listener etc.

Regards
Eivind Olsen