[Linux-cluster] GFS2 as virtual machine disk store

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Tue Aug 29 10:54:28 UTC 2017

Hi Steven,

Il 29-08-2017 11:45 Steven Whitehouse ha scritto:
> Yes, there is some additional overhead due to the clustering. You can
> however usually organise things so that the overheads are minimised as
> you mentioned above by being careful about the workload.
>
> No. You want to use the default data=ordered for the most part. It is
> less a question of data loss and more a question of whether in case of
> a power outage it is possible for a file being written to, to land up
> with incorrect content. That can happen in the data=writeback case
> (where block allocation has succeeded, but the new data has not yet
> been written to disk) but not in the data=ordered case.

I think there is a misunderstanding: I am not speaking about filesystem
mount options (data=ordered vs data=writeback), rather on the QEMU
virtual disk caching mode: on Red Hat documentation, it is suggested to
set QEMU vdisk in cache=none mode. However, cache=writeback has some
significant performance advantages in a number of situations. As, since
at least 5 years, QEMU with cache=writeback supports barrier passing and
so it is safe to use, I wondered why Red Hat officially suggest to avoid
it on GFS2. I suspect it is related to the performance degradation due
to cache coherence between the two hosts, but I would like to be certain
in not related to inherently unsafe operation on GFS2.

> Yes, it works well. The size limit was based on fsck time, rather than
> any reliability issues. It will work reliably at much larger sizes,
> but it will take longer and use more memory.

Great. Any advice on how much time is needed for full fsck on a 8+ TB
volume?

> I hope that answers a few more of your questions,
>
> Steve.

Absolutely great info. Thank you very much Steve.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico
email: g.danti at assyoma.it - info at assyoma.it