[linux-lvm] LVM in stock kernel!?

pamvdam at ramoth.xs4all.nl pamvdam at ramoth.xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 22 15:07:13 UTC 1999

On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 01:14:36PM +0000, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:

> Hi Pascal,
>
> saw your mail today concerned with writes beyond the end of the device,
> Have seen this a couple of times before 8*(
>
> It was a kernel problem in the block i/o layer these days not forced
> by the LVM but brougt to the surface by the heavy i/o load LVM striped
> LVs pushed to the system.

It was a problem.... Mmmm. In 2.3.14 it still is.

> Do you see the same trouble with LVM 0.7 in older kernel releases?

2.3.13 and the 2.3.14-pre release gave the same problem. I don't
know about earlier releases. Shall we bring this up to the linux kernel list? The MD users should have noticed it too. Indeed there was VERY heavy I/O
on the stripes.

BTW: 2.3.14 needed a little extra patch wrt the 2.3.13 LVM patch. Some-
body will have ported it too, if not say so, and I'll mail you the diff.

Best regards,

	Pascal