[linux-lvm] RAID and LVM?

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Mon Jul 26 11:11:22 UTC 1999

On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 01:12:17AM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
> cool! Tell me, how is md_make_request in md.c defined? The old way,
> or the new way:

new way!
you better check alans patch it is on kernel.org mirrors

> i noticed lvm does autodetect based on partition ID. Raid does
> aswell. So how can we do autodetection for LVM on RAID? The md device
> won't have a partition id, and the underlying device will have to
> have a RAID partition ID for RAID to autodetect it.
> Can LVM check for some magic within each block device and use that to
> decide whether a device is a PV or not?
we have to set the partition as a raid autodetect partition
then create an initrd with the command
insmod lvm.o
vgscan
vgchange -a y

the problem is that when raid is loaded as a module autodetect
does not happen than when initrd is finished :(

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
    Communications Media & Services S.r.l.