[linux-lvm] RAID and LVM?

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Tue Jul 27 12:57:04 UTC 1999

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 02:23:53PM +0000, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:
> > i believe useful integrating raid and lvm
> > it means a user can dcide the different raid policy
> That's the Veritas Volume Manager concept.
that is what i am accustomed to.
i usually work on hp servers.
are you suggesting there are better ways to do things?

> > as a side question, how does LVM autodetect works
> > (if it exists, that is)?

> Today, it's the initrd mechanism (partially) supported by lvmcreate_initrd
> in LVM 0.7.
that is what i tought, see my previous msg
but the scan is done in user space, i was asking if some
kernel space solution existed/was planned/has any sense

what i want to do is have both raid and LVM work and be autodetected
at boot even if both are compiled as modules.
why would i want to do this?
Distributions, i would like both raid and lvm to become
a standard part of all linux distributions.

i hope that there will be some improvements in
boot loaders, so we can avoid the small bios addressable
partition, and completely avoid the idiotic pc partitioning
cheme.

Regards,
Luca

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it