[linux-lvm] vgscan -- invalid i/o protocol version

Rolf Jakob rjakob at duffy1.franken.de
Wed Jun 30 22:43:35 UTC 1999

> Anyone seen this error msg before?
Yes :-)

> I'm running RH6 with kernel 2.2.10 and the LVM patches applied. I
> originially tried to follow the HOWTO but on the first command i got:
>
> pvcreate -- ERROR: "/etc/lvmtab" doesn't exist; please run vgscan
>
> so i ran vgscan and got the message in the subject line. It's possible I'm

Did you build LVM as a module ? Is the module loaded ? I get the same
message when I run vgscan without modprobe lvm.o.

> being really thick and I don't really know what I'm doing. Do I need the
> devfs patches too?

Not that I know of. I never tried it without devfs, but that has other
reasons (having to remove the first SCSI disk is a strong argument for
devfs :-)

Rolf
--
Rolf Jakob at home (rjakob at duffy1.franken.de)