[linux-lvm] Bonehead problem

Steve_J_Brueggeman at notes.seagate.com Steve_J_Brueggeman at notes.seagate.com
Thu Mar 11 15:09:02 UTC 1999

It sounds to me like you've got old modules hanging around as left-overs.
Did you build LVM 0.5 with the same kernel version? (2.2.2 presumably).  If
so, did you clear out your old modules directory before you rebuilt the
kernel with LVM 0.6?  Are you using modversions when you build the
kernel/modules?

I've also noticed that vgscan will cause the kernel will complain about not
being able to find some block devices that I have not compiled into
modules, or the kernel.  This doesn't sound like your problem though.

I've also had a problem when vgscan ran, because of a bug in the md driver.
I run RedHat 5.2, and the default installation created /dev/md0 through
/dev/md15, but the default md driver is compiled to handle only 4 md
devices (#define MAX_MD_DEV  4), and because of a bug in the md_open()
(uses [minor] without checking minor is less than MAX_MD_DEV), my kernel
would crash when vgscan tried to check /dev/md6 or so.  I just rm'd
/dev/md[4-9] /dev/md1[0-5] to not cause the problem.   I don't think this
is your problem either, but thought you might like to know.

Steve Brueggeman
(All opinions are my own, and in no way reflect those of my employer).
(<--legal-crud)

"Verloove, Olivier" <olivier_verloove at merck.com> on 03/11/99 07:40:42 AM