[linux-lvm] Booting

Adrien Farkas freddy at redneck.sk.oracle.com
Mon Nov 8 08:13:04 UTC 1999

Kent Overstreet (kent at kent.myip.org) wrote :

> I just subscribed to the list, so this may have been thought of, but I
> didn't see it in the archives.
>
> From reading the archives, the biggest (long-term) problem with booting
> straight of the LVM is having lilo find the kernel. So how about this:
> dedicate the first extant or three for kernel images. Have regular block
> files in dev, maybe ex0 etc. When you install a new kernel, just dd the
> image to the extant. It would probably take minimal hacking for lilo to

this is the way e.g. Alpha boots from SRM loader. You have some part (preferrably in the beginning) of the disk dedicated for kernel and loader boots from there. But I'm definitely not sure whether this is a good idea. if you run 'file' on kernel image you find out that it's an x86 (e.g.) bootsector so taken pure theoretically you can boot from the disk if you change root device accordingly. But the problem is not kernel but root partition.

Two solutions appear in my mind (I guess it's official solutions for using LVM):
1) use initrd with minimal support (modules, LVM utils and basic libs)
2) use some small (20MB) partition with content as above.

Decide and read HOWTOs

--
                                             freddy

----==-- _                      Adrien "freddy" Farkas
---==---(_)__  __ ____  __       freddy at sk.oracle.com
--==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  We all know Linux is great... It
-=====/_/_//_/\___/ /_/\_\  does infinite loops in 5 seconds