[linux-lvm] Problem with possible failed disk...

Daniel Whicker heimdall at mail.org
Sun Nov 21 15:56:18 UTC 1999

Hey Gang,
	I was hoping that someone might be able to help.  I just recently moved
and found that one of my systems wouldn't be, hanging  at single user after
trying to fsck an LVM filesystem.  Further checking resulted in the
discovery that LVM hadn't found any volume groups.  At that point I did a
"vgscan -d 2>&1 | tee /tmp/out" and dug through /tmp/out and found that one
of my two LVM disks (/dev/hdd) was being skipped.  A bit more checking and
I found that /dev/ide/hdd/geometry was reporting that this disk had a
NEGATIVE number of cylinders.  This brings me to two questions;  does
anyone know how to remove a disk from a volume group when you can't get the
system to see the VG?  (/dev/hdb and /dev/hdd are both members of vg00)  I
know that there was no data on that disk yet, I had just added it, so
removing it shouldn't affect any file systems.  Also, would anyone have
ideas why Linux would see a negative number of cylinders for that
disk?  The BIOS seems to see it just fine, and before I moved, Linux had
seen that disk fine.  I assume that the disk is bad, but it seems strange
that the BIOS and Linux aren't jiving on the geometry of the disk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel
									-Daniel