[linux-lvm] LVM, raw-io, devfs

Adrien Farkas freddy at redneck.sk.oracle.com
Mon Oct 4 09:28:10 UTC 1999

Fernando Dammous (ferdam at internetcom.com.br) wrote :

> Hi (again!),
>
> From: Adrien Farkas <freddy at redneck.sk.oracle.com>
> > Forget it, Linux port of Oracle DB doesn't support raw-io.
>
> I admit that I'm not a deep expert of Oracle, mainly regarding interaction
> with the I/O devices and with the operating system.
>
> However, I have been finding in the documentation of Oracle for Linux,
> several references of utilization of RAW-DEVICES (among others).
> I'm not, here, wanting to create controversy, because it is dealt with a
> matter extra-LVM and being you a member of Oracle (I saw for your e-mail
> address freddy at sk.oracle.com), you must have knowledge of this subject. Then
> I ask:
>  What does mean the references about RAW-DEVICES in documentation?
> To illustrate, I separated some from :
>
> Oracle8 Administrator's Reference for LINUX
> Release 8.0.5
> A66585-01

Oh, I'm sorry, Linux port of Oracle _does_ support raw io, but it depends on Oracle8 release, 8.0.5 does not, 8.0.5.1 (not released for public for free, afaik) and 8i (aka 8.1.5) both do. But definitely, I've never tried it. The last time I was interested in using raw partitions was in the time of 8.0.5, so prehaps that's why I still thought Oracle doesn't support them.

--
                                             freddy

----==-- _                      Adrien "freddy" Farkas
---==---(_)__  __ ____  __       freddy at sk.oracle.com
--==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  We all know Linux is great... It
-=====/_/_//_/\___/ /_/\_\  does infinite loops in 5 seconds