[linux-lvm] Existing Linux System

Jens Benecke jens at pinguin.conetix.de
Tue Oct 12 13:59:12 UTC 1999

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 09:52:29PM +0000, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:

> > I have an exisiting linux system. Running Mandrake 6.0. I have
> > installed sucessfully the kernel patch and the LVM software. Can I
> > convert the existing layout to use LVM?
> No conversion in means of nondestructive change of your existing
> partition based filesystems into logical volume based ones.

> > And if so how would that be accomplished.
> You have to have free disk space available (at least about 10-20% more
> than the already used space for your partition based filesystems) to set
> up a volume group containing logical volumes for /, /usr, /tmp, /var and
> so on.
> Create filesystems in these logical volumes and mount them.

Is there a kind of Migration-HOWTO included in the LVM package that tells
you how to migrate an existing system in detail?

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de

Windows NT indeed has very low Total Cost of Ownership. Trouble is,
Microsoft _owns_ Windows NT. You just licensed it.