[linux-lvm] lvm'ing root fs

Andreas Dilger adilger at home.com
Tue Apr 11 02:45:51 UTC 2000

Marco writes:
> Twice I get the same results:
>
> # cd /
> # cp -a * /mnt/root_vg
> cp: /mnt/root_vg/proc/kcore_elf: Invalid argument
> cp: proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/flush: Invalid argument

You should'nt try to copy /proc over.  The kcore file is actually the
copy of all of your RAM contents, and it can crash your system to read
from some parts of your memory (hardware ports and such).

Either limit the copy to a single partition (I don't know if "cp" has a
flag to do that), or unmount /proc before starting your copy.  You probably
also want to unmount your other filesystems as well (keeping only /) so
that your root LV only has files from / in it.

Cheers, Andreas