[linux-lvm] repair "lvextend-instead-of-e2fsadm" usage

Jens Benecke jens at pinguin.conetix.de
Tue Aug 1 18:21:09 UTC 2000

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 11:04:27AM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> Jens, writes:

> > ...  The Trouble Is(tm), umounting the /home partition would include
> > explaining to 200 scientists why and how long they cannot access their
> > precious data, and I *really* don't want to go into details here. =;()

> resize2fs /dev/vg01/home

That's what I did. I managed to shutdown the database and umount /home and
do this by staying at work till 8pm =;()

Thanks. :)

> (i.e. don't specify the size) and it will extend the filesystem to the
> full size of the partition.  Note that using resize2fs will be much
> faster than doing e2fsadm, because you don't really need an fsck before
> doing the resize, but e2fsadm does it anyways.

well... resize2fs told me I should check the FS, and because this is
production data, I did it. Just to be sure.

> If you have the online resize patch in your kernel already, but didn't do

I didn't even know it existed. =;)

> I have updated e2fsadm to call either ext2online or (resize2fs or
> ext2resize) depending on what is available and if the filesystem is
> mounted or not.  I will send a patch to linux-lvm shortly.

OK. Great work :)

What I am still somewhat missing in LVM is "cosmetics".  I suppose there is
no easy way to integrate all those tools into one consistent UI (needn't be
"G"UI) so that they are not used in the wrong order ... or is there?

--
ciao, Jens (mailaddr im Header)                 http://www.pinguin.conetix.de
"Schiebe nie etwas auf Boshaftigkeit, was           http://www.hitch-hiker.de