[linux-lvm] How do you mount a snapshot?

Tracy R Reed treed at ultraviolet.org
Thu Dec 7 20:37:43 UTC 2000

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 03:05:08PM -0500, Chris Mason wrote:
> > Unless they have changed it (possible), reiserfs does not support ro
> > hardware for mounting unless the filesystem was unmounted cleanly. The
> > reason is that to make the FS consistant the journal has to be replayed
> > which necessarily _writes_ to the device. This cannot work on an ro
> > device.

Hmm....

> We didn't change that ;-)  But, the message would look different.  In this
> case, it did not find a reiserfs filesystem at all, or perhaps the reiserfs
> module wasn't loaded...

So...can I or can I not use snapshots with reiserfs? The snapshot was
taken of a currently mounted and functioning (reiserfs module
loaded...compiled into the kernel, actually) so if I did the snapshot
correctly there should be a filesystem there. I'm going to wipe it out
(nothing on it but some test files) and try again with ext2 and see what
happens.

This should work, shouldn't it?

--
Tracy Reed      http://www.ultraviolet.org