[linux-lvm] Debian packaging

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Sun Dec 17 09:47:10 UTC 2000

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 05:22:17PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> Yes.  My package will differ quite a bit from the existing Debian package.
> Also I plan to make everything use shared libraries.  ls, cp, and mv are not
> statically linked so I don't think that there is any need for statically
> linked lvm utilities.  My lvm package will be considerably smaller than the
> current one (which is necessary for boot support).

this is something i could never understand in current linux distros :(

> One other thing, it seems that the protocol is changing often.  How should
> this be managed in Debian packages?  I had thought of doing lvm22 and lvm24
> as package names for the 2.2.x and 2.4.x kernels, but now I get the
> impression that the interfaces will change between those series.  Also 0.8.1,
> 0.9, and 0.8i all seem to have different protocol versions.

The protocol is kernel independent, the protocol changes between lvm releases

> This has two problems, one is that users won't know which one they need, the
> other is how to manage an upgrade of a kernel!

if luser has 2.2 kernel she must have patched it to support LVM so she probably knows
what she's doing.

> I was thinking that perhaps what I should do is have /sbin/lvm-ver and
> /lib/lvm-ver directories where "ver" is the version of LVM in question.  Then
> at boot time there is a script that determines the version of LVM in the
> kernel and creates sym-links from /sbin and /lib to the correct directories.
> This is REALLY ugly, but it enables a user to cleanly have a machine that can
> be booted on 2.2 or 2.4 kernel and just work each time you boot it.
>
> Any better suggestions?
you should look at the wrapper i posted some days ago.

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
 /"\