[linux-lvm] Patched kernel sources

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Sun Dec 31 01:25:01 UTC 2000

Scott Denton writes:

> > > Found the reference to that very idea in the src code on
> > > sourceforge for ext2online... how about ext2online resizing of an
> > > ext3fs (since there's supposedly no structural difference between
> > > the two)?
> >
> > I'm not quite sure what you mean...  Maybe ext2resize (offline)
> > resizing of an ext3 fs?  This is already possible (I do it
> > regularly).
>
> Not offline, online... resizing the ext2/3 fs while mounted... it
> works rather well with ext2fs but I haven't yet tried or seen
> reference to using ext2online on a mounted ext3fs... looking through
> the reiserfs src now to see if i can find reference to
> online-resizing as well... what I really am looking for is LVM with
> MDs and a journaled filesystem with online AND offline resizing
> capability... preferably both extension and reduction abilities, but
> i can live with only extension for the time being.

That's exactly what I was trying to tell you before - online resizing
of an ext3 filesystem doesn't work at present because of bad interaction
with the journal - it needs to be rewritten.  There are 2 parts to the
resizer - the kernel patch(es), and user part - ext2online.

There IS online extension for reiserfs, but not online reduction.

Cheers, Andreas