[linux-lvm] Trouble 2.2.14 setup - unresolved symbol lvm_map_ptr (My first time)

Michael Marxmeier mike at msede.com
Sun Jan 30 20:44:56 UTC 2000

> IMO there's no obvious reason, why it should core there with size == 8.
>
> Do you have an old libc in place by accident which might give us a
> reason to assume an broken malloc()?
> If so: try with an actual one.
>
> Any ideas from other list members?

Conventional wisdom tells that when malloc crashes the free list
(aka arena) has been trashed. This can happen eg. by a double free
(some malloc versions check against this) or by writing beyond the
end of a buffer.

You might want to try the following:
env MALLOC_CHECK_=1 vgcreate ...

This will use a debugging version of malloc which might print
sone diagnostics to stderr if a problem is encountered.

see malloc(3) for additional information.

Hope this helps
Michael

--
Michael Marxmeier           Marxmeier Software AG
E-Mail: mike at msede.com      Besenbruchstrasse 9