[linux-lvm] LVM patch for linux-xfs-2.4

Dale Kemp dale at inet.net.nz
Sat Jun 17 22:55:07 UTC 2000

> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm currenlty hacking the latest XFS tree from SGI which is based on
> > linux kernel 2.4test1 with LVM. Except for the XFS addition this
> > kernel has more customizations. One of them, stops the LVM tools from working.

Hi!

I've just joined this mailing-list after signing the LVM petition, or should that
be partition? ;-)
I'm so glad to see work going on with volume management, its a missing piece
that most commercial UNIX's have over linux. Hey, but you all know this.

Can I ask some questions, these might be useful on the faq list...

I didn't know that SGI's XFS system uses linux-lvm, and not the SGI volume
management system. Are IBM doing the same?

Can any filesystem use LVM ? Does it need changes to make it work ?

I assume the filesystem has algorithms to store data as efficiently as possible
within its `physical' partition. How does LVM stay efficient with different
filesystems ?

Is it possible to convert an existing `low-level' physical partiton like ext2 into a
LVM PV (this would make the transition to lvm much easier) ?

If I start using LVM now will it be compatible with newer versions of LVM and
especially the one in kernel 2.4 ?

-- Dale Kemp (dale at sclnz.com)