[linux-lvm] Re: IBM to release LVM Technology to the Linux

Martin K. Petersen mkp at linuxcare.com
Fri Jun 23 20:55:44 UTC 2000

[Musings deleted]

Ben> This is exactly what you would have under the LVMS described in
Ben> the white paper.  Your example shows nothing which could not be
Ben> done through the LVMS architecture with partitions.  Am I missing
Ben> something here?

I am advocating:

1. Using existing partitioning schemes to encapsulate logical disks.

   This is only relevant in the migration case and if people want to
   test LVMS on a few disks that are already partitioned.  If your
   system has hundreds of disks connected, you'll use a 1:1 physical
   to logical disk mapping anyway.

2. Avoid using existing partitioning schemes to encapsulate logical
   partitions/extents.

--
Martin K. Petersen, Principal Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
mkp at linuxcare.com, http://www.linuxcare.com/