[linux-lvm] LVM performance questions..

Jos Visser josv at osp.nl
Sat Mar 11 09:15:44 UTC 2000

Hi,

I would not pose myself as an absolute expert, but as far as I know,
striping's biggest performance improvements come if multiple threads (or
processes) are accessing the same file system (block device).

Suppose your OS does I/O in 4k units.

If your stripe set has a stripe size of larger than 4kb, than one OS
logical write goes to one disk. In this case, with one process writing
data there is no performance improvement to be expected.

If your stripe set has a smaller stripe size (say 1kb, or 2kb), then
performance could even degrade. A 4k write will be split across two or
more drives, and the entire write has to wait for the slowest disk. I
won't even go into the factors involved if you have a two-deep stripe of
1kb stripe size and an OS block size of 4kb! In my view (and please
correct me if I see it wrong), the stripe size must be a whole multiple
of the OS block size that is going to be used in the striped LV.

With multiple processes doing I/O the story gets better. With a stripe
of 2 deep, there is a 50% chance that two processes doing I/O in the
same LV (file system) end up on different disks for a particular I/O. In
this case, the I/O's do not have to wait for one another.

Have you tried doing I/O with more than one process? If not, could you
try that as well?

++Jos

--
Dihydrogen Monoxide kills!