[linux-lvm] reproducible segfault in vgscan

Michael Marxmeier mike at msede.com
Wed May 3 20:44:11 UTC 2000

Forwarded message form Paul Jakma <paulj at itg.ie>

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 20:03:41 +0100 (IST)
From: Paul Jakma <paulj at itg.ie>
Subject: reproducible segfault in vgscan

i have a reproducible segfault with vgscan.

i had pvmove'd several lv's. Then i rebooted. since then, vgscan
segfaults
the first 3 times  out of every 4 times i run it.

eg:

[root at rossi linux]# vgscan
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- found active volume group "Main_VG"
Segmentation fault
[root at rossi linux]# vgscan
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- found inactive volume group "Main_VG"
Segmentation fault
[root at rossi linux]# vgscan
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- found inactive volume group "Main_VG"
Segmentation fault
[root at rossi linux]# vgscan
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- found inactive volume group "Main_VG"
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: you may not have an actual VGDA backup of your
volume
group

this means i have to call vgscan 4 times in a row from my initscripts
before i can run vgchange.. :(

vgcfgrestore also has the same behaviour. :( segfault, segfault,
segfault, ok, segfault, segfault segfault ok.. etc..

System is 2.3.99-pre6-pre7.

I've looked at the BUGS page but i don't see this problem listed.

Further info available on request..

regards,

Paul Jakma.