[linux-lvm] SuSE/LVM boot problem

Christoph Hellwig chhellwig at t-online.de
Wed May 31 16:13:08 UTC 2000

Andi Kleen schrieb:

> >  - lilo needs to understand about lvm and use the lvm provided ways to
> >    get physical mappings.
>
> That's complicated. Someone did a similar hack for RAID0, but LVM is more
> complicated than MD RAID0. Better just supply the real block numbers to lilo
> and rerun it as needed (LVM could warn about it)

Don't use lilo, use grub. I'm trying to implement lvm support in grub. The idea
is that grub should read the first lvm on each pv. This first lv must be only on
this pv. (and have a special name, eg lv_root, so grub can find it)

> >  - the kernel needs to be able to reconstruct enough of the lvm
> >    descriptors to mount / at boot time.

The kernel should know about all lvm descriptor and the /etc/lvm* should only be
used for pvcreate an similar programs.

	Christoph