[linux-lvm] Error -154 can't get data from VG

Jos Visser josv at osp.nl
Wed Nov 15 07:07:42 UTC 2000

Hi think that what /proc/lvm shows is the setting of the "contiguous"
setting for the logical volume. When an LV is "contiguous", the LVM
tools make sure that it remains so when you move or extend it. Even
volumes that have not been created "contiguous", *might* (and usually
will) be contiguous on the disk, but once you extend them the contiguity
(is this correct English :-) will almost certainly be broken.

It might be a nice idea if we would have some tools to create a human
readable copy of the LVM metadata. I'm not sure if this tool currently
exists or not, but it could seriously help us in situations like this.

++Jos

(on Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 09:09:17AM -0800 to be exact)

--
Success and happiness can not be pursued; it must ensue as the
unintended side-effect of one's personal dedication to a course greater