[linux-lvm] e2fsadm and fstab

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Fri Sep 22 23:51:37 UTC 2000

Jan writes:
> Is the following behaviour wanted?
>
> If a filesystem is listed in /etc/fstab, but currently not mounted, e2fsadm
> checks for the availability of ext2online, and if it doesn't find it, it
> aborts with an error message. The check is in e2fsadm.c, lines 275ff.

This sounds like a bug I added then fixed in my local version of e2fsadm.
It is not in the original e2fsadm.  I will post a patch and upload a new
SRPM.

Basically, I check /etc/fstab to do mountpoint -> device renaming for
unmounted filesystems, and /proc/mounts and /etc/mtab for mounted
filesystems.  It's no great loss if you simply remove /etc/fstab from
the list in e2fsadm of places to check for devices/filesystems for now.
It just means you need to give the LV name always instead of optionally
giving the mountpoint.

Cheers, Andreas