[linux-lvm] lvm and fibre channel

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Wed Sep 27 19:05:20 UTC 2000

Michael Lausch writes:
> Andreas Dilger writes:
>  > LVM will not help you here either, because it currently limits you to
>  > 255 LVs, regardless of how many VGs you have, because there is only 1
>  > block major for LVM.
>
> is using devfs an option? We are planing to attach a PC to a storage
> array (HP XP256) using LVM and devfs over fibre channel next week and
> doing some tests (performance, ease of use, etc....)

The problem is that the LVM code is written to only look at 1 major number.
The SCSI code has been written to check multiple major numbers.  Maybe it
is worthwhile to change the LVM code to check a whole block of major
numbers, or alternately get dynamic majors via devfs.  This is not there
yet, so you are stuck with a maximum of 255 LVs and 99 VGs.

Cheers, Andreas