[linux-lvm] lvcreate error

ardy at rdb.linux-help.org ardy at rdb.linux-help.org
Sun Apr 1 23:32:51 UTC 2001

I'm trying to add a seventh logical volume on a two-disk, striped volume
group. vgdisplay shows the following:

--- Volume group ---
VG Name               vg0
VG Access             read/write
VG Status             available/resizable
VG #                  0
MAX LV                256
Cur LV                6
Open LV               6
MAX LV Size           255.99 GB
Max PV                256
Cur PV                2
Act PV                2
VG Size               14.24 GB
PE Size               4 MB
Total PE              3646
Alloc PE / Size       1436 / 5.61 GB
Free  PE / Size       2210 / 8.63 GB
VG UUID               v5Mf72-JidP-Fv7q-fm3G-TY95-21k9-4SV86i

I currently have six logical volumes mounted.
This is the rror I get when trying to create the seventh logical volume:

lvcreate -i2 -I4 -L4G -n lv6 vg0

lvcreate -- not enough allocatable/free physical volume space in "vg0"
lvcreate -- please check, if physical volumes are allocatable

I've redone this system, and the only difference is that I'm striping this
time. I was capable of creating more logical volumes when I wasn't
striping. Also, I could create a seventh volume using 3900MB, but not
4000MB.

Why is it choking at 4GB?