[linux-lvm] Re: linux-lvm digest, Vol 1 #118 (MSG 5)

ardy at rdb.linux-help.org ardy at rdb.linux-help.org
Tue Apr 3 15:21:38 UTC 2001

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 07:32:51PM -0400, ardy at rdb.linux-help.org wrote:
>> I'm trying to add a seventh logical volume on a two-disk, striped
>> volume
>> group. vgdisplay shows the following:
>>
>> I've redone this system, and the only difference is that I'm striping
>> this
>> time. I was capable of creating more logical volumes when I wasn't
>> striping. Also, I could create a seventh volume using 3900MB, but not
>> 4000MB.

> When you create a striped LV of 4g you will need 2g free on both
> disks. You can check this with pvscan.

Patrick, thanks for responding,

pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- ACTIVE   PV "/dev/hdb2" of VG "vg0" [4.75 GB / 44 MB free]
pvscan -- ACTIVE   PV "/dev/hdd2" of VG "vg0" [9.49 GB / 4.78 GB free]
pvscan -- total: 2 [14.25 GB] / in use: 2 [14.25 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

Since I only have 44 MB free on hdb2, is that the size limit of any new
additional striped volumes I can create?

Can I create unstriped volumes with the balance of the space left on the
volume group?

Can I resize existing striped volumes and make them larger, and if yes, am
I limited to a maximum of 44MB as shown by pvscan?