[linux-lvm] Problem with UUID, vgscan, vgcfgrestore

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Tue Apr 3 22:30:26 UTC 2001

Diederick van Dijk writes:
> ]# dd --version
> dd (GNU fileutils) 4.0p
>
> # strace dd of=/dev/hda2 bs=1 seek=6144 if=/etc/uuids
> open("/dev/hda2", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_LARGEFILE, 0666) = 1
> ftruncate64(0x1, 0x1800, 0, 0, 0x1)     = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)

Strange, it is trying to truncate the block device!  You need to
add the option "conv=notrunc" to "dd" so that it will not do this.
It really shouldn't try truncating a block device, so maybe this is
a bug?  I don't know if "GNU fileutils 4.0p" is newer or older than
"GNU fileutils 4.0.35".  If you update to the latest fileutils and it
still has this problem, I suggest submitting a bug report.

In any case, it is not so important because you already have your VG back,
but good to know for future reference.

Cheers, Andreas