[linux-lvm] Help! vgchange -> invalid argument

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolinux.com
Fri Apr 6 15:49:20 UTC 2001

Christopher writes:
> I am about one step away from setting up a new system with LVM!
> There is just one thing keeping me back. When I try to activate
> the volume group I've created -- vgchange does this for sure, I
> get an error "Invalid Argument". According to all the debug
> output I'm passing all of my checks, its the last point where
> the volume group is brought online that this dies. I think this
> is a known problem with a known fix, but I can't find a patch
> in the mailing list. Could someone post it here or to me
> in e-mail?

You can find it in lvm-devel (or probably in this list as well).
I posted it, and it relates to VG_CHANGE ioctl.

> My kernel is stock 2.4.3.
> My tools are stock 0.9.1-Beta6

If you use the current CVS code (soon to be 0.9.1b7) the problem is
fixed there as well.  Alternately, you can apply a kernel patch
(see PATCHES/README) to fix the problem (and many other problems also).

Cheers, Andreas