[linux-lvm] 2.2.19 Patches??

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Sat Apr 7 00:21:34 UTC 2001

gerry at dorfam.ca wrote:

> I just spent the better part of a week finding out what patches to apply
> in what order to get the 2.2.17 stock kernel working with lvm.  Now that
> I've got that working it seems like I should go all the way and install
> 2.2.19.
>
> Would someone please tell me what patches need to be applied and their
> location.  BTW, I think this information would be really, really nice in
> the HowTo!

Below is some instructions direct from the README in the PATCHES directory.
If you want to get your own raw-io patch get
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/sct/raw-io/kiobuf-2.2.18.tar.bz2.
I used raw-2.2.18.FULL.diff to patch my 2.2.19 kernel.

Creating the patch
------------------

o untar your clean Linus kernel

o run 'make distclean' in the directory above this one to clean up any
  previous configure information.  If you get an error that says
  "make: *** No rule to make target `distclean'.  Stop." it generally
  means your source tree is clean and you can ignore it.

o run configure in the directory above this one to produce 'Makefile',
making
  sure to specify the '--with-kernel_dir=' flag if your kernel source is
not
  in '/usr/src/linux'.

o check the following variables at the top of 'Makefile' in the PATCHES
  directory

  KERNEL_DIR should point to the kernel source that you wish to patch
  eg, KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/linux

  LVM_VERSION the LVM version
  eg, LVM_VERSION=0.9.1_beta5

  KERNEL_VERSION the version of your kernel that is to be patched
  eg, KERNEL_VERSION=2.2.18

o Apply raw_io patch if you're using a 2.2 kernel (see below).

o type 'make', a file of the form lvm-<LVM_VERSION>-<KERNEL_VERSION>.patch
  should be built

Applying the patch to a 2.2 kernel
----------------------------------

LVM requires Stephen Tweedie's raw_io patch to work under linux-2.2,
we have included versions of this patch for various kernel releases
(linux-2.2.*-rawio.patch).  However we do not guarantee that this is
the most up to date version.

See ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/sct/raw-io/

This patch must be applied before you make the LVM patch.

eg,

cd /usr/src/linux
patch -p1 < /home/joe/develop/LVM/PATCHES/linux-2.2.18-rawio.patch
cd /home/joe/develop/LVM/PATCHES
make
cd /usr/src/linux
patch -p1 < /home/joe/develop/LVM/PATCHES/lvm-0.9.1_beta5-2.2.18.patch