[linux-lvm] What have snapshots got to do with LVM ?

Iain Young iain at g7iii.junglelink.co.uk
Sun Apr 22 14:10:24 UTC 2001

Hi Joe,

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 01:09:24PM +0100, Joe Thornber wrote:

> Why don't we split snapshots off into their own driver so we can
> snapshot any block device, putting the COW tables on any other block
> device ?

Id like this - There is snapfs gives similar functionality to this
(If I understand LVM snapshots correctly), but it is only avaliable for
the 2.2 kernel and then only for ext2/ext3 filesystems IIRC.

My only question is, is it 2.5 fodder, or would Linus accept it into
the 2.4 tree ? I don't really know enough about what changes would be
required to the kernel, and what Linus is willing to accept in the
2.4 tree.

(And please everyone, lets not get back on the One-Big-Patch vs
Several-Small-Patches "debate" - My mailbox is full enough of that =>)

All the Best

Iain.