[linux-lvm] Looking for recipe for LVM

Patrick Caulfield caulfield at sistina.com
Tue Aug 7 14:33:41 UTC 2001

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 08:54:11AM -0400, John.Forrer at comsat.com wrote:
>  I have found lots of mail from people jumping hurdles to get various aspects of
> lvm working, but have yet to find a recipe that I can understand for getting lvm
> installed/loaded/...  into Redhat 7.1.  from scratch.  I have a Dell computer
> with 4 scsi drives of 36G each that need to be mounted as a single drive.  Any
> suggestions about where I can find/buy such a recipe and/or a canned solution?

Well, no-one else seems to be able to help so I'll try. I don't have RedHat 7
but I've heard bad stories about people trying to patch RedHat kernels.

I recommend you download the latest 2.2 or 2.4 (your preference) kernel from
an ftp.kernel.org mirror and use that. The instructions in the LVM HOWTO should
be enough to guide you through it.

The most difficult part is to figure out which kernel options you need to set
- apart from LVM of course - to support your hardware. If in doubt build
everything as a module and it'll probably all work out fine.

patrick