[linux-lvm] Writing forward compatible applications using /proc

Jason Tackaberry tack at linux.com
Sun Aug 12 19:51:19 UTC 2001

> You should also be able to get all the information you need from the tools.

The problem I see with this is if the output generated by the tools
changes it could potentially break the GUI tool.  I guess no matter what
I do I'm picking a moving target.

> It would be really good to see a comprehensive LVM gui tool.  You

Actually my idea is for a comprehensive _disk_ administration tool, of
which LVM will be a part.  So you can, for example, query your
controllers, partition your disks, setup a RAID5 configuration with LVM
on top, and even tune and manage supported file systems.

My plan is to model it loosely from Veritas storage administrator.

> Are you planning to implement in C and gtk ? or use some higher level
> language ?

I've always wanted to learn Qt, so I'll likely use Qt, and build it in
such a way that the GUI is abstracted and can be ported to a different
toolkit.  Of course I'd distribute static binaries, since this sort of
thing should be able to be run on a server, many of which do not have X
libraries installed.

Cheers,
Jason.