[linux-lvm] volume group not found????

Christopher Blunck cblunck2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 01:42:51 UTC 2001

The group (sadly) didn't have much info for me.  As
such, I'll relay on to you what I found to work.

I was able to restore my volume group by:
vgcfgrestore -v -d -n group1 /dev/hdg1

For some reason, when I used vgcfgrestore and
specified  the group1.conf file name it didn't work.

I've noticed the error logs generated from the vg*,
pv*, and lv* commands aren't very helpful.  For
example, say you vgextend an additional 30G.  Then if
you lvextend -L+30G the error message you get isn't an
"error:  you attempted to allocate more space to the
LV than exists in the group".  You get something like
"allocation of 688502 physical blocks warning".  Not
very intuitive.

Best of Luck Alexander,
Chris

--- Alexander Bruns <a.bruns at sauerland.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> > It looks like you have hit the bug 193 in
> bugzilla.
> >

> Okey, I read about this Bug. But where do i found a
> way to get on my
> data on the lvm-partition?
>
> Greetings, Alex
>

> > /Magnus
> >
> > Alexander Bruns wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am new to this group an new to lvm. I
> reinstalled my personal
> server
> > > with redhat 7.1 an wanted to get lvm run over my
> three large
> discs.
> > >
> > > I had the following things running for a short
> while:
> > >
> > > - RedHat 7.1 with all updates.
> > > - self-compiled Kernel 2.4.6 with patched lvm
> 0.9.1_beta7
> > >
> > > On my first HD Igave the rest space to hda7 with
> fdisk and set the
> > > partition to "8e" lvm.
> > >
> > > The i followed the howto at sistina at:

file://sistina.com/lvm/doc/lvm_howto/Common_tasks.html

> [...]
> > > not work. reiserfs-checks did not found a
> problem but the
> mount-binary
> > > told my something about a superblock......
> > >

> > > Abter a reboot I now have the following:
> > >
> > > [root at holodeck lvmconf]# pvdisplay /dev/hda7
> > > pvdisplay
> > > --- Physical volume ---
> > > PV Name               /dev/hda7
> > > VG Name               lvm_volume_01
> > > PV Size               48.54 GB / NOT usable 1.06
> MB [LVM: 169 KB]
> > > PV#                   1
> > > PV Status             available
> > > Allocatable           yes (but full)
> > > Cur LV                1
> > > PE Size (KByte)       4096
> > > Total PE              12425
> > > Free PE               0
> > > Allocated PE          12425
> > > PV UUID
> cFFBJX-aqxr-P7kU-71OY-pgpX-rvtA-XxVpoc
> > >
> > > But for /dev/hdb5 and /ev/hdc5 it does not show
> the same.
> NOTHING!!
> > >

> > > And becouse I did not write anything to the
> volumegroup or logical
> > > volume after the added two partition al my data
> must still be on
> hda7.
> > > But how do I manage to get on it?
> > >
> > > The following commands say the folling:

> > > [root at holodeck lvmconf]# vgscan
> > > vgscan
> > > vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may
> take a while...)
> > > vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"
> successfully created
> > > vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a
> VGDA backup of your
> > > volume group
> > >
> > > lvm_volume_01 is not found
> > >
> > > [root at holodeck lvmconf]# vgchange -a y
> lvm_volume_01
> > > vgchange
> > > vgchange -- volume group "lvm_volume_01" does
> not exist
> > >

> > > [root at holodeck lvmconf]# ls -al /dev/lvm*
> > > crw-r-----    1 root     root     109,   0 Jul
> 20 16:39 /dev/lvm
> > >
> > > /dev/lvm_volume_01:
> > > insgesamt 88
> > > dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jul
> 20 23:06 .
> > > drwxr-xr-x   15 root     root        81920 Jul
> 28 13:12 ..
> > > crw-r-----    1 root     disk     109,   0 Jul
> 20 23:02 group
> > > brw-rw----    1 root     disk      58,   0 Jul
> 20 23:06 lvm_lv_01
> > >

> > > [root at holodeck lvmconf]# ls -al
> /dev/lvm_volume_01/
> > > insgesamt 88
> > > dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jul
> 20 23:06 .
> > > drwxr-xr-x   15 root     root        81920 Jul
> 28 13:12 ..
> > > crw-r-----    1 root     disk     109,   0 Jul
> 20 23:02 group
> > > brw-rw----    1 root     disk      58,   0 Jul
> 20 23:06 lvm_lv_01
> > >

> > > SHIT!
> > >
> > > How do I get on my Data at lvm_volume_01 bzw

=== message truncated ===