[linux-lvm] Re: *** ANNOUNCEMENT *** LVM 1.0 available at www.sistina.com

Eric M. Hopper hopper at omnifarious.org
Wed Aug 15 17:21:49 UTC 2001

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 07:04:28PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 06:50:05PM +0200, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:
> > offset. No known way around this.
>
> As said in the attached email (never got a reply about it yet btw)
> there's definitely a way around it, there's no magic in the beta7
> lvmtools, anything they can do can be done as well in the new lvmtools
> if we want to (and I believe we want to). I understand you don't want to
> clobber the core code with backwards compatibility cruft, but a new
> backwards compatibility utility, even in a new directory to make obvious
> nothing gets clobbered, could be developed and it would solve the
> problem.

	I, frankly, won't be upgrading LVM from my 0.9 beta 7 release
until something like this exists.  The whole concept of needing some
extra special process with several steps to do the migration scares the
willies out of me.  I keep important data on my computer.  I have no
desire to lose it.

	LVM should refuse to access VGs that have PVs that have this
problem, and there should be a straighforward, single-step migration
tool that comes with the release.

--
"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."  --- Thomas Jefferson