[linux-lvm] Successful Upgrade to 1.0 with RH 7.1

gerry at dorfam.ca gerry at dorfam.ca
Sun Aug 19 21:39:26 UTC 2001

I thought I'd share my experience with my upgrade from beta 7 to 1.0 on
Redhat's 2.4.3-12 kernel...

First, I had already patched the 2.4.3-12 kernel and successfully
installed lvm beta 7.  This went without problems following the
instructions in the PATCHES directory.

I downloaded the new lvm 1.0 tarball and tried to patch the existing
patched kernel source.  That didn't work very well so I immediately gave
up on that approach and started with a clean Redhat 2.4.3-12 kernel.  The
patch was created properly and installed without errors.

I then rebuilt the kernel using the saved .config file from the old
working kernel.  No problems with the kernel compile.  Being on a roll I
did the make file in the LVM/1.0 directory, then updated the existing pv's
using pvversion.  Finally, I did a make install and rebooted.

Everything came up without a single error.  I'm now running on lvm 1.0 and
all data is intact!

Great work and congratulations to the LVM team!

PS. Notice that I started with a clean Redhat 2.4.3-12 kernel NOT the
standard kernel.  Whatever changes have been made by Redhat do not affect
LVM.

Gerry
--
"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Geoffrey Chaucer