[linux-lvm] Successful Upgrade to 1.0 with RH 7.1

gerry at dorfam.ca gerry at dorfam.ca
Sun Aug 26 13:21:23 UTC 2001

On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, Erick Calder wrote:

> > started with a clean Redhat 2.4.3-12 kernel
>
> I'm running a stock 7.0 version and downloaded the above-named kernel...
> patch and compilation went ok but I can't seem to make modules... I get a
> ton of errors... I realised that I needed to install the kernel-headers for
> this version but even after that I can't make the modules... I've seen a lot
> of other guys out there suffering with this but no solutions... I even tried
> changing the HOSTCC to "kgcc" in the Makefile but no dice.... so I'm
> wondering what you did right... can you share?
>
> (sorry everyone else that isn't running RH)

Well, all I did was follow the install instructions that came with the LVM
tarball to create the patch.  I didn't do anything special.  I wasn't able
to successfully install the newly created patch until I replaced the
kernel source with a fresh "clean" rpm.

Are you running the 2.4 kernel or are you using 2.2?  That makes a big
difference as you need to add the raw.io patch to the 2.2 kernel.  Also, I
don't believe that the shipped RH kernel config enables LVM as a default.

I still have the patch for 2.4.3-12.  However, I doubt it would work for a
7.0 install since I'm using 7.1.

Gerry
--
"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Geoffrey Chaucer