[linux-lvm] Problem mounting snapshot with reiserfs

Aman Shahi shahi_aman at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 15:07:51 UTC 2001

Hi,

I am having problem in mounting snapshot with
reiserfs.

I am using linux kernel 2.4.8 and lvm 1.0. Here
is the sequence of steps I did. Same steps with
ext2 I did not have nay problem. But with reiserfs
I am not able to do the mounting.

using fdisk I change the type of /dev/sdb2 to "8e".
capacity of /dev/sdb2 is around 30G

# pvcreate  /dev/sdb2
# vgcreate  vg1  /dev/sdb2
# lvcreate -L10G  -n  lv1  vg1
# mkfs -t reiserfs  /dev/vg1/lv1
# mount -t reiserfs  /dev/vg1/lv1  /lv1

I copy some data(60M) to /lv1

# lvcreate -L2G  -s  -n back1  /dev/vg1/lv1

# mount -t reiserfs  /dev/vg1/back1  /back1
mount: block device /dev/vg1/back1 is write-protected,
mounting read-only
reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 3a:01) ...
clm-2076: device is readonly, unable to replay log
Replay Failure, unable to mount
reiserfs_read_super: unable to initialize journal
space
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
/dev/vg1/back1,
       or too many mounted file systems

# mount  /dev/vg1/back1  /back1
mount: block device /dev/vg1/back1 is write-protected,
mounting read-only
FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 3a:01.
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

I had read a similar problem in the mailing list. But
think the reiserfs and vfs patches are not required in
linux kernel 2.4.8 and lvm 1.0.  Or am I missing
something or doing something wrong.

Aman Shahi.