[linux-lvm] You must specify a filesystem type error

Kenny Gorman kenny at kenamea.com
Fri Dec 7 17:42:01 UTC 2001

I am utilizing LVM snapshots, and every once in a while I get this 'you
must specify the filesystem type' error when trying to mount the volume:

$> ./snapshot.sh -s
lvremove -- doing automatic backup of volume group "datagrp"
lvremove -- logical volume "/dev/datagrp/datasnap" successfully removed

lvcreate -- WARNING: the snapshot will be automatically disabled once it
gets full
lvcreate -- INFO: using default snapshot chunk size of 64 KB for
"/dev/datagrp/datasnap"
lvcreate -- doing automatic backup of "datagrp"
lvcreate -- logical volume "/dev/datagrp/datasnap" successfully created

mount: block device /dev/datagrp/datasnap is write-protected, mounting
read-only
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

But it only happens once in a while.   How can I rid myself of this
issue?  I am on SuSE Linux 7.2 (2.4.7-64GB-smp) with lvm 0.9.1 beta7.

Thanks,
Kenny Gorman
DBA