[linux-lvm] You must specify a filesystem type error

Kenny Gorman kenny at kenamea.com
Mon Dec 10 12:58:02 UTC 2001

See below:

Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

> Hi, Kenny!
>
> Kenny Gorman (kenny at kenamea.com) wrote 33 lines:
>

>>I am utilizing LVM snapshots, and every once in a while I get this 'you
>>must specify the filesystem type' error when trying to mount the volume:
>>

>>mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>>

> Mount could not mount the FS.
>

>>But it only happens once in a while.
>>

> So it's probably not an journalled FS (which needs a
> kernel-patch for online snapshots).  What does the system
> log say?  (dmesg, /var/log/messages or whereever)

It's ReiserFS so it's journaled. Only once in a while to I get the
error.  Var log messages gives this error when I snapshot:

Dec 10 10:57:43 ino kernel: fatfs: bogus logical sector size 0
Dec 10 10:57:43 ino kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid MSDOS filesystem on
dev 3a:01.
Dec 10 10:57:44 ino kernel: reiserfs: checking transaction log (device
3a:01) ...
Dec 10 10:57:44 ino kernel: Using r5 hash to sort names
Dec 10 10:57:44 ino kernel: reiserfs: using 3.5.x disk format
Dec 10 10:57:44 ino kernel: ReiserFS version 3.6.25

funny thing tho, it works just fine most of the time.

>>How can I rid myself of this
>>issue?  I am on SuSE Linux 7.2 (2.4.7-64GB-smp) with lvm 0.9.1 beta7.
>>

> You may want to upgrade your Kernel and LVM-Tools to 1.0.1...
> No guarantee that the snapshots will be any better, though.

Yea, I should.  thx.