[linux-lvm] catch-22

Wolfgang Weisselberg weissel at netcologne.de
Sun Dec 16 13:36:01 UTC 2001

Hi, Erick!

Erick Calder (e at arix.com) wrote 43 lines:

> a drive part of a volume crashed on me... I've looked through the man pages
> and HOWTO but find no happiness... help!

> # vgextend LVM /dev/hdc
> vgextend -- volume group "LVM" doesn't exist

> # vgcreate LVM /dev/hdc
> vgcreate -- volume group directory or file already exists
> vgcreate -- please choose a different name

> what is the correct procedure to follow? shall I just blow away the /dev/LVM
> directory and do a "pvcreate -ff /dev/hda3"?

I am no expert.  I don't even try to guarantee that you'll
not blow up your data (and the whole planet, too).  But AFAICT
/dev/LVM is created as needed with vgscan.  You did run vgscan
after the HW-change?

You did a vgcfgrestore on the new/replaced /dev/hdc PV?

-Wolfgang

PS: I'd still advise a current, working backup. :-)