[linux-lvm] Keep snapshots active for 24 hours?

Petro petro at auctionwatch.com
Sun Dec 16 18:53:02 UTC 2001

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 04:07:31PM -0600, Kirby C. Bohling wrote:
> 	It would be nice to essentially get a chance to install software in
> 	a controlled manner and once your sure it is working then roll it forward.

    There is. They are called "testing machines".

    I interviewed at a firm that traded on a financial market in Chicago
    many years ago, and on every traders desk there were 3 machines. Two
    production machines running identical software more or less in
    parallel, and a third "testing" machine that the did the same stuff,
    only with new versions of the software.

    Software spent 6 months in that "testing" environment before being
    rolled live.

    While I think LVM is a really neat hammer, not everthing is a nail.

--
Share and Enjoy.