[linux-lvm] Implementation questions

Theo Van Dinter felicity at kluge.net
Tue Dec 18 08:31:01 UTC 2001

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 08:03:58AM -0600, mitch at mdmiller.com wrote:
> Doesn't Ghost support Linux / LILO configurations?  That would allow you
> to configure up one PC, and duplicate it to 129 others, and it's VERY
> quick.  You do, however, still have to make any individualized changes to
> each one after the duplication.

I've tried using Ghost2k (newer versions may be better) to just backup/copy
my Linux partitions (straight ext2 at the time), and it sucked horribly.  The
biggest problem was a bunch of missing symlinks for libraries which made the
system unbootable.  I don't remember now whether all symlinks were removed,
or if it was just in a certain area, or ...

I went back with Partition Magic and it copied the ext2 fses just fine.

However, I don't expect any of these programs to support anything but
straight partitions and ext2.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
All the easy problems have been solved.